FNS

Mano Majumdar

Background

I have a background in chemical engineering and economics, plus business and finance more recently. I am in my second career as an educator, so lately I have developed an interest in instructional design and accelerated learning. Other interests include (personal) finance, flags, fonts, (business) structures, strategy, systems, and stationery.

Interests

I will be spending the next while finding a way to move to a city that has me enamoured, peopled with people I love being around. That leaves less time for learning and thinking, but here are some things that have been on my mind.

• Introducing learnings about AI and other almost-there technologies into a general curriculum without meandering into a technical thicket.
  • Mass education in personal finance – I am working on a PowerPoint (hey, those win Nobel Prizes!) slideshow I can take on a tour through nonprofits and community orgs where I live.
  • Life design – being more mindful, strategic, and intentional about where I live, who I bring into my life, and how I build a life with my loved ones (family and friends).

Learning Victories!

I have started on a primer on economics for my business for engineers students. It doesn’t need to be comprehensive – just enough for them to understand words like ‘inflation’ and ‘recession’ when they read about them in their cases.

I’m reading Dream Machine (no spoilers, la la la) and loving it immensely. It’s not a learning victory per se but it did make me thankful for having developed the ability early in life of looking forward to 500+ pages of dense type and not feeling overwhelmed.

Getting Ready

I don’t have a personal web site. (So many blogs in a mass grave, though.)

I miss the old WordPress.com (and its simpler themes). I need a clean, simple interface that allows for a blog roll and static pages. Tips and leads are welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome @manosijm ! Wow! There’s a lot of exciting stuff you mention here!

Introducing learnings about AI and other almost-there technologies into a general curriculum without meandering into a technical thicket

This strikes me as a particularly hard problem. Facilitating learning about established technologies is difficult even with the help of battle-tested models and frameworks. The problem with emerging technologies is that they’re so rapidly shifting even for those already in the field. I experienced this all the time when trying to explain the work I was doing in the blockchain/ethereum ecosystem; I could barely keep up with the developments and models in the field myself and I was trying to translate them in a sustainable way for others!

All that said, it’s a very exciting problem to work on (facilitating learning around emerging technologies) because of how impactful getting involved with them at the stage their still forming can be, both for those getting involved and for the field as a whole.

Mass education in personal finance – I am working on a PowerPoint (hey, those win Nobel Prizes!) slideshow I can take on a tour through nonprofits and community orgs where I live.

That sounds like a really powerful project! Are there specific strategies or systems you’re drawing from in educating about personal finance? The only one I think I’ve been exposed to to is the YNAB, and a bit of double-entry accounting evangelism when I tried to get into using ledger.

I need a clean, simple interface that allows for a blog roll and static pages. Tips and leads are welcome!

What’s your level of familiarity with git or using a text-editor? A static website is in my opinion the easiest way to get started with a website today, using something like jekyll or hugo. A good first step I think is grabbing a domain name of your own, and then there are a bunch of different things you can experiment with.

Oh also, we have this thread for The Dream machine: Book: The Dream Machine . I would love hear your thoughts on the dream machine when you want to share them. ( I think the thread is relatively spoiler free at the moment)

1 Like

@jaredpereira, thanks for the welcome and your thoughtful replies!

Are there specific strategies or systems you’re drawing from in educating about personal finance?

The one strategy I keep returning to is one I call native language translation. I have a colleague who had worked in an insurance company working with clients who had a blockchain-related business. He told me that he had had it explained to him many times and still had not a clue. He has a background in finance and accounting, so I used a ledger entry and collusion analogy with him and he got it in one.

The people who were trying to explain it to him earlier were more familiar with the technical details than I, but I was able to reach him because I translated it into his ‘native language’ of finance and accounting.

I get a lot of traction teaching by asking people what they already know. The challenge is that I may not know anything about said existing knowledge base, so I now must learn that language before I can translate.

What’s your level of familiarity with git or using a text-editor? A static website is in my opinion the easiest way to get started with a website today, using something like jekyll or hugo.

Jekyll has turned up in conversation before. That’s two votes!

I think the main thing for me might be to first get back into a blogging habit at all. Switching themes / fonts / services is one of my most likely modes of procrastination (worse, sometimes it is actually relevant to the work, so it’s hard to separate procrastination from productive versions of the same).